For softening of fine lines and deeper wrinkles, restoring volume to lips, and recontouring the cheeks and jawline for enhanced facial balance and proportion, FDA- approved Juvéderm® has been popular for patients desiring a temporary injectable filler. As a temporary filler, Juvéderm® XC can last 6 months to 2 years, depending on the type of Juvéderm® selected, the facial area treated, the degree of aging and the consistency of maintenance treatments.
Like Restylane®, Juvéderm® is an hyaluronic acid based dermal filler specifically designed to mimic the support of your body’s own natural hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is an essential matrix component throughout your entire face and body found not only in the skin but in numerous other tissues.
The Juvéderm® family of injectable fillers can restore volume and fullness to numerous facial areas including:
- Nasolabial folds or smile lines
- Marionette lines or “puppet lines”
- Ptotic or sagging mouth corners
- Lip vermilion border for enhanced lip definition
- Upper and lower lips themselves to restore natural lip fullness
- Upper and lower lip wrinkles to improve “lipstick bleed”
- Hollow cheeks and temples
- Hollows under the eyes to reduce the appearance of dark circles
- Receding chin
- Jaw contouring to enhance jawline definition
The Juvéderm® family of injectable fillers has expanded over the years to include the following portfolio:
- Juvéderm XC Ultra
- Juvéderm XC Ultra Plus
- Juvéderm Voluma
- Juvéderm XC Vollure
- Juvéderm XC Volbella
Juvéderm® is available in approximately 1cc syringes which also contain lidocaine for numbing for a more comfortable treatment experience. For rare patients with a true lidocaine allergy, it is also available without lidocaine. Injections are performed with a tiny needle specifically designed for use with Juvéderm® products for enhanced results. Juvéderm® treatments are typically done in less than half an hour with most patients returning to many routine activities immediately after treatment. The results of treatment are immediate but it make take several days for the filler to settle to see the final result. Most patients experience minimal to no downtime. Bruising is rare and swelling is typically minimal. Makeup can usually be worn immediately after treatment.
Patients with a history of cold sores should notify Dr. Mandal in advance of treatment in order to determine if anti-viral prophylaxis is necessary. Patients with a history of known allergy to lidocaine or a similar anesthetic should notify Dr. Mandal in advance of treatment so that our office can order the lidocaine-free version. While patients on blood thinners may get authorization from their internist or cardiologist to stop them, Dr. Mandal has performed Juvéderm® treatments on patients with blood thinners without side effects other than increased risk of bruising.
Dr. Mandal frequently performs combination treatments Juvéderm® and other rejuvenation procedures for enhanced results. Several favorite combinations include:
- Micro-botox plus Juvéderm® XC Volbella for treatment of static and dynamic lip wrinkles
- Layering of different types of Juvéderm® XC to treat deep and superficial lines in the nasolabial folds or marionette lines
- Genius RF or Infini RF plus Juvéderm® XC Vollure for deep static lines
Contact Dr. Anita Mandal today to schedule you Juvéderm® XC treatment