With age, your face and neck tissue sag due to loss of collagen and elastin as well as the effects of gravity. Although each person ages differently, the cheek and jowls migrate downwards and towards the center of your face, resulting in a more pear shaped appearance. When young, our face has more of an upside down triangular shape with more volume in the upper half of the face. With age, our face begins to change to more of a triangular shape, appearing heavier in the lower half and more narrow in the upper half. When combined with the gradual loss of bone in the cheeks and the jaw, there is further loss of definition and youthful contours, resulting in the development of jowls and sagging in the neck.
Many patient who live an active, healthy lifestyle, interacting with the public as well as friends and family, are even more aware of the effects of aging as they desire to look as good on the outside as they feel inside.While these days more people are pro-active about their facial rejuvenation, starting the process earlier with minimally invasive procedures, you may not have been ready until now. If you have more than mild to moderate sagging of your cheek, jowls and neck, you may be a candidate for a facelift. Facelift surgery can restore a vibrant, youthful look which also enhances your self-confidence. Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon Dr. Anita Mandal invites you to meet with her for a detailed facial consultation to discuss your facelift options and review realistic expectations.
Potential Benefits of a Facelift
- Lifts sagging jowls
- Defines the neck and jawline
- Tightens sagging neck
- Reduces bulging fat
- Improves vertical neck bands
- Softens deep facial wrinkles, folds and creases
- Reduces fine lines over the cheek, jowl and neck areas
It is not unusual to have some apprehensions about facelift surgery. Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Anita Mandal, with her years of experience and expertise exclusively in the face, can put you at ease. Her goal is to deliver naturally beautiful results, without the pulled, “windblown” or overly stretched look that so many fear. In skilled hands, a facelift can restore youthful contours with improved definition to your jowls, cheeks and neckline.
Dr. Mandal typically performs a facelift while the patient is under intravenous sedation (“twilight sleep”) or general anesthesia. A facelift is an outpatient procedure, allowing you to recover in the comfort of your home the same night after surgery. The incisions are made in front and behind the ear as well as underneath the chin. Dr. Mandal repositions and tightens the muscle and fat under your skin in the cheek and jowl areas to create a more youthful facial contour. She can also tighten the vertical bands under the chin and remove fat to give definition to the neckline. The overlying skin is then re-draped, rather than stretched, over the newly created underlying contour with trimming of excess skin. The incisions are then closed after placing a tiny drain under the tissues and a head dressing is applied.
After surgery, patients go home on the same day with a pressure dressing around the head. It is important to sleep at a 40 degree angle, preferably in a reclining chair, to help reduce swelling. Dressings are removed on the next postoperative day. Prescription pain medications are taken until the discomfort subsides. Antibiotics may be prescribed to prevent infection. Sutures are taken out in stages over the course of 7 and 10 days. At this point, bruising and swelling can be covered with makeup. You may gradually return to your routine activities over the course of 3-6 weeks following surgery. Special activities such as golf, yoga and pilates may require a longer waiting period. You may not color, perm or chemically treat your hair for at least 4-6 weeks until after surgery. You should avoid wearing earrings for at least 1-2 months. Once healed, the incisions are typically unnoticeable, enabling you to wear your hair short or pulled back with confidence.
A Natural Look
Dr. Mandal’s preferred facelift approach consists of repositioning the deeper tissues followed by artful redraping and trimming of excess skin. This method is the key to having natural, youthful and better defined facial contours and reducing the chances of an unnatural “pulled” or “windblown” appearance. Some of the incisions are skillfully concealed within your natural wrinkles and creases in front of and behind the ears as well as under the chin. Other incisions are hidden within the scalp in a manner to minimize hair loss and bald spots. Click here to view Before and After photos of actual patients.
A facelift does not address aging of the upper face such as droopy eyebrows, heavy eyelids, certain facial wrinkles or sundamaged skin. While some patients require only a facelift, others benefit from additional procedures to improve facial harmony and give balanced rejuvenation. Procedures commonly performed with a facelift include:
- Brow Lift
- Eyelid Lift
- Skin Resurfacing or skin retexturizing with Genius RF or Infini RG
- Chemical Peel for sun damage and fine lines
- Injectable Fillers to treat nasolabial folds and marionette lines
- Advanced Injectable fillers to treat hollows under the eyes, in the cheeks or temples
- Lip volumization
The Full Spectrum of Facelifts
Dr. Mandal does not believe in offering one type of facelift for everyone. Aging is a dynamic process that involves all aspects of your face but to a variable degree. Since everyone ages differently, Dr. Mandal customizes the choice of lifting procedure to give the most balanced and natural appearance. Some patients are better suited for less invasive facelifts. Dr. Mandal offers a variety of mini facelifts which are shorter procedures with fewer incisions and faster recovery. Her signature technique, the Whisper Lift which is the most commonly requested surgical lift by patients calling Dr. Mandal’s office.Click here to learn about the Whisper Lift.
In addition to the traditional facelift described above, there are many other categories of Facelifts.
Types of Facelifts
- Full Facelift – combines a brow lift and/or eyelid surgery with a traditional facelift
- Jowl lift – for patients who have jowls without a sagging neck
- Necklift – for patients who have sagging neck tissue without much involvement of the face
- Midfacelift – lifts sagging cheek tissue
- Deep Plane Facelift – a more aggressive facelift which go deeper into the muscles than a standard facelift, resulting in longer recovery
- Cheek lift – see midfacelift
- Lower Facelift – tightens sagging neck and jowls and is limited to the lower face only
- Minifacelift – any face lifting procedure that is less than a traditional facelift
- Platysmaplasty – trimming and tightening of the vertical neck bands thru a small incision under the chin
- S-lift – a type of minifacelift that allows repositioning of tissue from the sides typically without a chin incision
- Whisper Lift – a quick recovery facelift performed under local anesthesia to tighten sagging neck and jowls with 4-7 days downtime
- Extended Whisper lift – a Whisper Lift with further extension into the central neck area for patients with more than mild to moderate neck sagging