At our facial plastic surgery practice in Palm Beach Gardens, There is much more to lip enhancement than simply making them bigger. In fact, lip shape and symmetry are more important than size. Projection and contour as well as lip definition are essential. As an Artist and a Precision Injector, Dr. Mandal is one of the top facial plastic surgeons with over 23 years of experience in designing beautiful lips that are, above all, natural looking. While patients may not travel a distance for temporary fillers in other facial areas, they come from across Florida, all over the country, and around the world for Dr. Mandal’s technical skill and artistic eye in making naturally, beautiful-looking lips.
We strive to provide our patients with some of the best lip filler results in West Palm Beach and surrounding Florida communities. Below, we’ve included our guide to the treatment, but if you’d like to schedule an appointment, please contact us.
What are Lip Fillers (lip augmentation)?
Patients’ number one concern is ending up with an overblown or duck-like lip. With so many generic lip injectors selling exaggerated lip filler trends seen on TV and social media, many patients think that they have to accept a “done” or unnatural look in order to have fuller lips. Others attribute an unnatural lip to the filler itself when, in fact, it is the result of a suboptimal injection technique.
Most people you see with unnatural lips can’t hide the poor quality of work performed. Patients with lips that look natural often don’t tell anyone that they had lip-enhancing procedures. As they say, “with good work, you can’t tell.”
As a Facial Plastic Surgeon and Master Injector, Dr. Mandal developed the Golden Rules Of Lip Augmentation™, a method for restoring lip volume, projection, and definition while maintaining a natural contour. These golden rules incorporate key features of the ideal lip to give aesthetically pleasing contours to highly satisfied patients.
Aesthetic Anatomy Of The Ideal Lip
- Pronounced cupid’s bow (Roman God of Love)
- Defined philtrum depression and columns
- Raised vermilion border, the fine line between skin and lip body
- Balanced upper (1/3) and lower lip (2/3) height in a Golden Ratio of 1 to 1.6
- The symmetry between the right and left lip
- Fuller central lip that tapers toward corners
- Adequate projection of upper and lower lip on profile view
- Upturned lip corners at oral commissures
Features of a Natural-Looking Lip
The middle 2/3 of the upper and lower lips consist of tubercles which give the lip its outward projection and contour. The vermilion borders between the skin and the red part of the lip, also known as the white roll, give definition to the lip edges. As the lip tapers towards its outer 1/3, it becomes flatter. Closer to the mouth corners, the lip edges begin to roll in.
Golden Rules Of Lip Augmentation
- Lip Pout: Inject deep into muscle to create a pouty lip
- Lip Pout & Shape: Inject precise, small amounts at Cupid’s bow
- Lip Pout: Add volume to philtrum columns
- Lip Fullness: Place deeper filler for structural augmentation followed by superficial filler for volume correction
- Lip Projection and Contour: Inject 2 upper lip tubercles and/or 3 lower lip tubercles in flat-looking lip
- Lip Definition: Inject within the fine line along the upper and lower lip vermilion
- Reduce Lipstick Bleed: Inject in the fine line along the upper and lower lip vermilion plus directly into lip wrinkles
- Increase Lip Height: Inject deep along the lower edge of the upper lip as well as the upper edge of the lower lip
- Lift Mouth Corners: 3-angle injection approach to lift oral commissures
- Enhance Lip Shape: Add more volume to the central lip and less as the lip tapers towards the corners
What are the signs of Lip Aging?
Well-defined lips with a healthy, natural degree of fullness and projection are considered youthful and sensual. Lips come in all shapes and sizes. While some are born with lips that lack fullness or definition, others experience these changes with age. Over time, the lip muscles and fat tissue diminish in volume and the lip skin loses elasticity, leading to:
- “Smoker’s” lines
- Lipstick bleed
- Thinning or volume loss
- Poor definition and/or flattening of the lip border
- Loss of lip color
- Flattening of philtrum ridges between the upper lip and base of the nose
- Flattening of the central upper and lower lip
- Downturned lip corners (oral commissures)
- Diminishing shape of Cupid’s bow
- Drooling or pooling of saliva at mouth corners
What are the Benefits of Lip Fillers?
Lip fillers have numerous potential benefits. Below, we’ve included some of the top advantages our Palm Beach lip filler patients have experienced:
- Softens fine lines around lips
- Improves lipstick “bleed”
- Lifts sagging mouth corners
- Fills marionette or “puppet” lines
- Increases the volume of the upper and lower lip
- Increased height of lip on the side view
- The increased contour of the lip on the side view
- Redefines lips edge at vermilion border & cupid’s bow
- Defines flattened upper lip by restoring vertical philtrum ridges between the nostril and upper lip
- Can reduce drooling and/or pooling of saliva at mouth corners
- Ideal for lip contouring and projection as part of a pre-juvenation program
Lip Fillers Treatment
The lip is a challenging area for the average injector because of its constant motion with speaking, facial expressions, drinking, and chewing. When this hyper-dynamic area is injected, lip motion can result in filler being deposited into unwanted areas, making precise and accurate injection technique crucial.
Lip Fillers Results
Results can be temporary to long-lasting, depending on the choice of treatment. Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Anita Mandal utilizes advanced lip rejuvenation and pre-juvenation techniques to enhance the lips’ appearance and give an exceptionally natural look. Numerous non-surgical options are available to give immediate results with minimal to no downtime.
- Restylane Silk® or Belotero® Balance
- Softens fine lip lines around the mouth
- Defines lip borders along the upper and lower lip vermilion
- Defines the philtrum ridges
- Restylane® Kysse, Restylane-L, Restylane® Refyne / Defyne or Juvéderm®
- Improves lip fullness
- Softens deep smile lines, marionette lines, and chin crease
- Lifts droopy mouth corners
- Defines philtrum ridges
- Adds lip contour and projection as part of a pre-juvenation program
- Restylane® Refyne / Defyne, RADIESSE® or Bellafill®
- Fills deeper nasolabial folds lines, marionette lines, and chin sulcus
- Lifts sagging mouth corners
- Botox® Cosmetic, Dysport®, Jeuveau™ or Xeomin®
- Treats dynamic lines of the upper and lower lip due to overactive muscle motion
- Can be combined with Restylane® Silk for more effective filling and longer-lasting results; this is an advanced treatment to be performed by a facial plastic surgeon who is an expert injector
- Genius™ RF/ Infini™ RF
- Improves fine lip lines and rough skin texture around the mouth
- Permanent Makeup
- Restores lip color, definition, and volume
- Combination therapy
- Peri-oral rejuvenation, utilizing multi-modality therapy, is becoming increasingly popular. Often the mouth area ages in multiple aspects with the development of lip wrinkles, sagging mouth corners, loss of lip definition and volume as well as elongation of the upper lip skin between the base of the nose and upper lip border. Lip lines that worsen with pursing may require multi-modality therapy with 1 or more of the following: Restylane® Silk, Genius™ RF / Infini™ RF, or micro-botox. Aged lips may require combination fillers such as Restylane® Silk to define the vermilion edges, Restylane® Refyne for lip fullness, and Restylane® Defyne to support the mouth corner. Some patients may also benefit from a surgical lip lift
How Much Do Lip Fillers Cost in Palm Beach?
The cost of lip fillers in West Palm Beach & Palm Beach Gardens will vary on a number of factors, including what filler is used and how much is used. To get the most accurate cost, please contact our office to schedule a consultation.
As a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Mandal focuses on satisfying results that are very natural looking. When it comes to the face, patients prefer quality and excellence over price. They seek her skills from throughout Palm Beach County, across Florida and a range of national and international locations. To discover your options, request a consultation online or call 561-238-0040 at our Palm Beach Gardens office.