Question: I have an upcoming appointment for my maintenance treatments. Being stuck at home, it’s even more important that I take care of myself. I don’t want to let my face go as that will only get more depressing with this current health crisis. Is there a way to keep my appointment without having to worry about contracting the virus from other patients or staff at your office?
Answer: The safety of my patients is and always has been of utmost importance. Even prior to the epidemic, my practice has been by appointment only. Unlike some cosmetic practices with high volume “cookie cutter” treatments at the cheapest prices, my practice is based on spending time with patients to tailor treatments to their individual needs. It is more one-on-one without the high traffic waiting room you may see elsewhere.
In this current health crisis and at the time of writing this article, I am still up and running but have instituted very strict safety measures for your personal protection as well as mine.
I made the decision to surpass the recommendations of the CDC to enhance the safety level in my office. We all need to come together and show social responsibility beyond just ourselves and our immediate environment in order to flatten the curve.
Specific safety measures include:
● I am only seeing one patient at a time with no overlap between patients.
● I am also carefully screening patients to determine who is allowed into the office.
● Extra time is allotted for patient appointments with the goal of only having one patient in the waiting room at a time to minimize contact and exposure between patients.
● With the exception of one employee, all staff are working from home to minimize the risk of contact and exposure.
● I will be the person in the office in closer contact (within 6 feet) with patients. As such, I wear an N95 mask when in proximity to any patient. N95 masks are known to filter over 95% virus and bacteria particles. This special mask (which is in severe shortage in the United States) can not only prevent me from contracting the virus but also reduce the risk of my passing it to other patients.
● All patients are instructed to bring their own pen to sign in and do paperwork.
● Any patient with the slightest signs of cold-like symptoms is not seen in the office.
● All patient evaluations and treatments are performed by me and only while wearing protective gloves and an N95 mask.
● Clipboards, examination chairs, countertops, in-office door handles, etc. are disinfected between patients. Patients need not touch in-office door handles as doors can be opened and closed for them.
I believe that if we all assume everyone is a potential carrier and institute safety precautions accordingly, each of us can effectively contribute to collectively flattening the curve of this epidemic.
These aggressive safety measures are allowing my patients to continue with their non-surgical minimal invasive treatments such as Botox, Dysport, Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, Bellafill-the 5 year filler, Infini RF non-surgical facelift as well as Sculpsure non-invasive body fat tightening, in my office which is observing the highest of safety standards.
Despite the sacrifices being made, it is important to keep our spirits up and also find ways to keep living. Looking your best helps you feel your best, even in difficult times. Backing down on your maintenance treatments allows your aging to catch up. It takes more work and money to get your rejuvenation back on track if you skip maintenance treatments. It is always better to maintain your facial rejuvenation at regular intervals.
At the time of writing this article, I have had very few cancellations. I would like to thank all of my loyal patients who have put their confidence in me over the years and trust that, even in this challenging time, I will go above and beyond to provide care under the highest standards and do my possible best to assure their safety.
Dr. Anita Mandal is a double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon practicing since 1998. She exclusively specializes in facial rejuvenation and non-invasive body contouring. In addition to being on the medical staff at Jupiter Medical Center, her offices house both surgical and laser suites. Dr. Mandal is committed to giving her patients the most natural looking results.